Sometimes I miss eating a burger. Not the (meat) flavour, but the possibility of just going out and grabbing a burger. It’s hard to find a good vegetarian burger! So what’s one to do? Make your own (deluxe, according to Jan) burger at home.
- 2 multi-grain poppy seed bread buns (baked or unbaked)
- 2 big portobello mushrooms, stems removed, clean
- 50 gr mature cheddar (use the good stuff here)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard (to taste)
- lettuce mix, tomato, cucumber, carrot (or other salad fixings), for serving
Here I’m really only telling you how to make the portobello burgers. I like to eat a nice salad with my burgers. Today’s was young leaves, carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a olive oil, balsamic vinegar & salt dressing. Salad is pretty much a pick your own adventure sort of thing, so get creative with it!
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Bake the bread buns for 10-12 minutes if unbaked, or heat up for 2-3 minutes if already baked. Take out and let cool slightly on a rack before slicing in half.
- Heat up a pan, drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil (about 1 tsp) and place the mushroom caps, cut side down. Press hard down and let them cook 2-3 minutes on medium heat before turning and cooking another 2 minutes.
- At this point the mushrooms are still raw. Put them in an oven proof dish (stem side up so you have a cup), season with salt & pepper, and divide the cheese on top of the mushrooms, making sure it’s inside the cup. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Spread bread with your favourite seasonings. For me that’s mayonnaise on the bottom, ketchup on the top half. Put a mushroom on each bun, top with some lettuce & tomato slices if desired, cover with the other half of the bun and devour.
If you can’t find big (and by big I mean 12-15 cm in diameter) portobello mushrooms, you can also use the smaller ones. Just make more per person and balance them on the bread bun.
Makes 2 burgers
Nutritional info is very dependent on what bread you use, how big your mushrooms are, how much mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise you use, etc. We had a burger each with a nice side salad for 485 calories.