Urte berri on. Bon any nou. Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar. Happy New Year. Elican novan jaron. Onnellista uutta vuotta. Bonne année. Feliz aninovo. Prost Neujahr. Kali xronia. Godt nyttår. Feliz ano novo. Bliadhna mhath ur. Feliz año nuevo. Blwyddyn newydd dda.
Some facts about the upcoming year:
- The United Nations has designated 2011 the International Year of Forests and International Year of Chemistry.
- NASA’s MESSENGER spacecraft is scheduled to arrive in orbit around Mercury. NASA’s Pluto probe New Horizons will cross the orbit of Uranus, after a five-year journey.
- Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, and Mars all visible within a roughly 6° area of sky.
- There will be several partial sun eclipses (June 1, Arctic; July 1, Antarctica; November 25, Antarctica) and total lunar eclipses (June 15, Africa, India, Middle East; December 10, Asia, Australia, Alaska).
- European capitals of culture are Tallinn (Estonia) & Turku (Finland).
For the last three years I’ve been having a no-contest here on the blog. I’d just send a Christmas card to anyone who would send me an email via the contact me link. (See the post from 2006, 2007 & 2008.
However I have bad news this year. Times are hard, and even tho I love making the cards and sending them far away to share my happiness, I can’t afford to do it this year. You see, the cards cost me around 2€ each, then I spend a couple of evenings at the very least making them, and sending them costs on average 1€ each. I’ve been sending around 30 cards each year. That’s 90€ that right now I do not have.
So here is my dilemma. Should I ask you people that love getting these cards for a small contribution towards them? Would it then be the same? I can’t decide, and I’ve never liked asking for money (ask Jan!). So, I’ll let you discuss it. What would you want to do? We have till the end of the month to decide what happens with my beloved Christmas cards. Then I’ll take the decision and let you know.
PS: yes, I know it’s not been Halloween yet and here I am talking about Christmas. But we know these things take time to make and to arrive to their destinations, so I do need to do it well in advance!