So today’s Jan birthday (Happy Birthday!), and we (because he helped) made a no bake cheesecake to celebrate. No bake because it’s too warm to cook anything lately.
Recipe: No Bake Lemon Cheesecake with Speculoos Base
For the base:
- 90 gr speculoos cookies
- 55 gr butter, melted
For the filling:
- Grated zest of two lemons, and juice of three lemons (so you need three lemons, just to be clear)
- 8 gr agar agar1 (to be found at health / bio stores)
- 200 gr ligh spread cheese (or not light, as you wish)
- 500 gr quark (or platte kaas or verse magere kaas or similar)
- 180 gr powder sugar
What you need:
- zester or grater
- small microwave safe bowl or small sauce pan
- big bowl
- electric mixer, food processor / blender
- 20 cm diameter spring form (or two smaller 15 cm spring forms)
- assorted stuff: knife, spatula,
- Make the base: in a food processor blend the cookies to a coarse powder, add the melted butter and mix again with the food processor until it all comes together. Spoon mix onto spring form(s) and press onto the base to make an uniform cohesive layer. Let it chill while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: in a big bowl, mix lemon zest, spread cheese, quark and sugar together with electric beaters until smooth. Place lemon juice in small microwave safe bowl / sauce pan. Sprinkle agar agar on top and let soak for a few minutes. Then heat up in the microwave on low-medium for 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. (If in sauce pan, bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 4 minutes). Add lemon gelatin to cheese batter and mix well. Pour filling over base.
- Let set in the fridge for several hours, ideally overnight. To release cheesecake from spring form: run a warm moist knife around the edge.
Serves: 8-12 depending on appetite
- agar agar sets bad when acid foods, such as lemon juice, are added. I initially used 4gr of agar agar and the cheesecake didn’t set properly, next time I’ll use double ↩