Today’s dinner brought to you inspired by a recipe that I read somewhere, and with the “40 days without meat”1 campaign in mind.
- 1 250 gr block firm tofu
- 10 gr / ~ 1tbsp sesame oil
- 500 gr mushrooms, clean & sliced
- 1 orange (or yellow) bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 small tin (70gr) tomato concentrate
- 1 tbsp mushroom “oyster” sauce (or the real thing if you’re not vegetarian)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pack (150 grams) straight-to-wok noodles
- Wrap tofu in a couple paper towels and press dry with hands. Cut in 1.5cm cubes. Heat up a non-stick pan on medium, once it’s hot, add the tofu cubes, and let them cook without touching them for 4-5 minutes, until golden, then turn, and repeat until all sides are golden and slightly crunchy.
- Heat up oil in a wok. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add the bell pepper & half the spring onion, and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the tomato paste, mushroom “oyster” sauce, soy sauce, sambal oelek & garlic powder with 3-4 tbps of water, enough to make it pourable (might need to add some more water). Add to the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes. Add the noodles, stir and cook for another couple of minutes.
- At this point, all sides of the tofu should be golden. Add tofu to the mushroom mix. Stir to coat.
- Sprinkle remaining spring onion on top before serving.