It’s Jan’s birthday, and the birthday boy deserves a birthday cake. I gave him three options to chose from: lemon curd filled lemon cake, chocolate cake or cinnamon oatmeal cake. He chose the latter, because it sounded “weird”. So I adapted a recipe from Dessert for two a little bit, and here we are!
Cinnamon oatmeal cake
(adapted from Dessert for two)
- 15 gr oats
- 60 ml hot water (straight from the kettle)
- 85 gr salted butter (or use unsalted and add a pinch of salt)
- 35 gr dark brown sugar (cassonade)
- 30 gr cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 100 gr all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a 15 cm spring form with parchment paper and grease. Set aside.
- In a small bowl / ramekin, add oats & hot water and set to soak.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar very well. Then add the egg and mix (it’ll split, it happens).
- In a smaller bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda & baking powder. Add dry ingredients and soaked oats (and if there is liquid left, the liquid) to the creamed butter mix, and stir until combined.
- Transfer batter to lined spring form. Bake in oven on center rack for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven, let it cool for 5 minutes before removing from spring form.
Salted caramel sauce
(adapted from Cookies & Cups)
- 25 gr butter
- 75 gr cane sugar
- 100 ml cream (20% fat)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a big microwave safe bowl melt the butter. Then add the sugar and cream and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Microwave on high (750W) for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Microwave again for 1 minute, until bubbly and slightly thickened. Remove from microwave, add salt & vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sauce will thicken as it cools.