Ingredients (for one burger):
- 1 portobello (about 10-12 cm in diameter, or 70-80 grams in weight)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp grated cheese (mozzarella is a good option) or a slice of cheese to top it all
- salt & pepper
- one pita bread that fits the portobello
- fixings to taste: mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles….
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Oil an oven proof dish that fits the portobelo(s).
- Put portobello(s) in the oven dish, underside up. Season mushroom lightly with salt and pepper.
- Season beaten egg with salt and pepper, and pour it inside the mushroom cap, trying to not spill. Top it with the grated cheese (as much as the cap can hold, do not overfill since it will bake over otherwise) or wait with the cheese for now.
- Put dish with mushroom(s) in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the egg has set. If using sliced cheese, top the mushrooms with it for the last 5 minutes, to allow it to melt.
- Pop the pita bread in a toaster until warm, crunchy and puffed. Let cool enough to handle. Slide burger into pita pocket and add desired toppings.
- It is handy to use a toothpick to keep the burger in place while eating it!
I like to serve the burgers with a big salad: mixed greens, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, and vinaigrette dressing. Feel free to serve whichever way you usually do with burgers.