Twenty-seven things about Christmas and me that you couldn’t care less about.
- Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. I love wrapping presents, I’m the official present wrapper around here. Might also be because I’m damn good at it, if I say so myself.
- Real tree or Artificial?
Artificial tree. At my mother’s apartment it’s impossible to keep a real tree. With Jan, we opted for artifical as an “investment” that will last us lots of years of decorating it together.
- When do you put up the tree?
First weekend of december is about right.
- When do you take the tree down?
In the first week of January.
- Do you like eggnog?
Never tried eggnog, not a traditional thing here.
- Favorite gift received as a child?
I don’t remember, perhaps some Clicks by Famobil/Playmobil: a set for camping in the snow.
- Hardest person to buy for?
My mother, who never knows what she wants, or gives any hints.
- Easiest person to buy for?
Uhm, Jan, thanks to his wishlists. I only have to pick out something in my budget.
- Do you have a nativity scene?
Nope, technically I shouldn’t even bother celebrating Christmas, but I like the wintery feeling of it. I should find a different name for it!
- Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail Christmas cards. We even make them ourselves for the last two years (this one will be the third), and it’s already a tradition for us.
- Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Mmm I can’t remember anything I didn’t like.
- Favorite Christmas Movie?
The nightmare before Christmas
- When do you start shopping for Christmas?
When I remember it. This year it’s been before November is over!
- Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
- Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Chocolate-Ricecrispies “turron”. It’s more like a praline, tho.
- Lights on the tree?
Yes, colorful and blinking! But only when we’re in the room, and by night. We don’t like leaving the lights on when we’re not in the room.
- Favorite Christmas song?
Don’t think I have a favourite.
- Travel at Christmas or stay home?
I pass actual Christmas (Christmas eve and Christmas day) at home with my mother, and the 26th I fly over to spend New Years with Jan.
- Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s?
Wait, there is more than one? I guess I can’t, then.
- Angel on the tree top or a star?
Neither, a pinacle thingy. Has a ball and then a needle going upwards. How the hell do you call those? A finial??
- Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Depends. When I was a kid, a small present on Christmas’ Eve with dinner with my grandparents, and the rest on Christmas morning. Now, Christmas’ eve and New Years’ Eve.
- Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
From the end of November, people start to forget how to drive, how to talk, how shop, and they look like they’re all the time drunk. That, and the shops are crowded and there are Carrols everywhere.
- Favorite ornament theme or color?
Real glass ornaments. I like to mix colors and shapes.
- Favorite for Christmas dinner?
It used to be Almond soup and whatever else. Now it’s my turn to cook, so I try to change the menu every year.
- What do you want for Christmas this year?
All I want for Christmas is… (guess) :p
- Who is least likely to respond to this?
- Favorite thing about Christmas?
Cold weather, snow, snuggling with the boy, baking sweets!
Yeah, there, it’s Christmas time! Don’t forget the no-contest where you can get a nice Christmas Card in your mailbox!