I had a bunch of over-ripe bananas in the fridge, and rather than throwing them away, I decided to bake with them. I’ve made Banana Bread Muffins before, that were a bit on the heavy side, so I didn’t want to repeat that recipe. I looked for a Banana Cupcake recipe, since cupcakes are usually lighter than muffins. I found one I liked, but it was too heavy in the eggs department. I didn’t fully veganize it, but I cutted eggs in half. The resulting recipe follows:
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Preaheat oven to 200C and line with paper cups two muffin trays (you will need 18 at least)
- Melt the butter with the oil (microwave for 30 seconds). Let cool a bit. Meanwhile, in a big bowl, mix the bananas with the lemon juice and zest. Beat in eggs and milk. Add the butter-oil mixture.
- Add nutmeg and sugar, incorporate well. Add flour and mix well, until incorporated, but not overbeating. Fill cupcake liners just a bit below the rim. Bake at 175C for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes clean but moist and top is light golden and sproungy.
- Let cool on rack. Scarf them
Yield: 18 cupcakes, but don’t expect them to last long.